Cage brackets all welded in so last thing to do inside wise is prep for paint.
After taking some cliched poses on the old shell of course…
After removing the sound deadening you’re always left with the residue, nothing for it but some old skool elbow grease.
Sanded, hoovered out and ready for primer
So seam sealer ground out, we got the chassis legs welded as per the regulations. With the punishment the cars take over the kerbs the legs can start to flex slightly and it only takes a few mm of flex to pop a driveshaft due to the location of the gearbox mounts.
Next up, the cage was offered up the floor plates tack welded in then the cage removed to allow seam welding.
Whilst pulling apart the old car I actually had a proper look at the battery for the first time [never had cause to pull it out the batter box before hand]. It’s a Braille lithium ion unit, powers the car well enough to perform repeated starts yet weighs just 5lb / 2.2kg! That’s a standard 250ml can of RedBull I pictured it next to for a sense of scale…
With all the sound deadening and sealant removed its almost time to weld the new cage mounts in to the blue shell.
Meanwhile Alicia has been brought back down from race HQ for final stripping and removal of the engine and box.
No, not that kind you mucky pups!
Stage one of the re-shell is well under way, although the cars are limited in modifications there’s still a lot of prep work required before it can be rebuilt.
After stripping the entire interior including wiring harness, engine and running gear and all windows from the car, we brought it back to base and got to work on the sound deadening material and superfluous bracketry.
Even though the bulk of the weight is in items like the seats and carpets, there’s a good few kilos in the sound deadening and it tends to be everywhere you don’t want weight in the car. Additionally, there’s bordering on a metric ton of seam sealer liberally splattered all over the inside of the car. Although not a huge weight saving, it looks unsightly if left in place and every kilo helps! Here’s a before and after of the tunnel.
Alicia is dead. After surveying her following a roll in to the tyre wall we decided the chassis had taken one too many hits and it was time for a re-shell.
So the strip down began at Knockhill. Removing all the safety equipment from Alicia and getting our new donor car down to a bare shell.